10 things you never knew about Botox
I love Botox and neurotoxins not just because they are a great way to anti-age or prevent wrinkles, but because they are predictable and efficient. Botox is the brand name that everyone knows but what are some other interesting facts about everyone’s favorite neurotoxin?
1. The technical name is Botulinum toxin. Yes it’s a toxin and it was first discovered after a dose of food poisoning killed several people in Germany in 1920. When tested the meat contained a bacterium called botulism.
2. It was going to be used in biological warfare in WWII. The US military researched it to use as a biological weapon!
3. It was first used in the 70s to treat strabismus of the eye, sounds scary? This is the technical name for a crossed eye and usually happens when the eye muscles are not functioning as well as they could.
4. It makes you happy. Botox is also used to treat depression because it affects facial expressions. Our facial expressions are connected to our emotions and when we frown that message is sent to the brain to tell us we are sad. Botox relaxes the frown and literally turns it upside down.
5. Migraines are a big problem for so many people but did you know Botox can alleviate them? In 2010 the FDA approved use for this problem. It is thought to stop pain signals reaching the nerve endings.
6. It can prevent underarm sweating known as hyperhydrosis or excessive sweating. Injected into the nerves in the armpit it blocks signals to the sweat glands to stop the sweating.
7. If you have a problem with urinary incontinence, Botox can help. Accidental leaks happen when the bladder muscles spasm, injections decrease the spasms so you can control your bladder much better.
8. Are you a teeth grinder? Do you wake up with aching jaws and teeth, that means you suffer from bruxism. The masseter muscle is working too hard and needs to relax, literally! Injecting the muscle reduces its strength and nips the teeth grinding in the bud.
9. More and more men are getting Botox, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons said that Botox treatments for men are up a whopping 337% since 2000.
10. As we get older those lines across the neck become a real thing. I call them neck lines or wrinkles. Did you know Botox can help reduce them? Injecting into the line as though it were a necklace, helps relax the muscles and create a great smoothing effect.